If you have kids, you might want to set Parental Controls to help you manage what sites and information they have access to on the Internet. Your wireless gateway allows you to block keywords in web addresses and specific sites; you can also control which computers these restrictions apply to. You can set and adjust Parental Controls at the wireless gateway’s Admin Tool website at http://10.0.0.1. You’ll need to use a computer or device that is currently connected to your wireless gateway (either wired or wirelessly). Otherwise, you won’t be able to access the Admin Tool.
Set up Website Blocking
Using the Managed Sites menu, you can block access to certain websites from local computers:
- Blocked Sites: Enter URLs of the websites to be blocked, and set up a time schedule.
- Blocked Keywords: Enter keyword(s) that appear on websites you want blocked, and set up a time schedule.
- Trusted Computers: Specify the computers you do not want affected. If a computer is selected as a Trusted Computer, it bypasses the configured Parental Control settings.
To set up website blocking:
- Check the Web Site Blocking box to enable the feature.
- In the Key Word/Web site field, type in the full website address name (www.example.com) to block a specific website. To block access to websites that contain a certain word, type in the word in the Key Word/Web site field.
- Click Add and the keyword or website address will now appear in the “Block Web sites that contain these key words/Web sites" list.
- You can either delete individual entries from the list by clicking the Delete button or clear the entire list by clicking the Clear List button.
The Managed Services menu allows you to prevent access to applications and services.
- Trusted Computers: Specify the computers you do not want affected. If a computer is selected as a Trusted Computer, it will bypass the configured Parental Control settings.
- Blocked Services: Define services and ports to be blocked using Parental Controls.
The Managed Devices menu also displays information about devices that can be managed by rules.
- Add Allowed Devices: Choose which devices, if any, are exempt from Parental Control rules.
- Rules: Created reports display attempted violations of Parental Control rules.
Set up Internet Access Time Limits
- Log on to your router’s administration site.
- Click the Select A Computer/Device button to select a computer connected to your home network.
- Check the Add button for the computer you want to limit - if you don't see the computer you would like to add, make sure the computer is turned on and click the Refresh button.
- In the Day(s) to Block section, check the box next to the day or days you want to limit. In the Time of Day to Block section, choose a Start time (e.g., 2:00 PM) and an End time (e.g., 6:00 PM). This time range will apply to each day you selected for the specific computer.
- Click Apply.