This article explains where to find or change your WiFi Network Name (SSID) and WiFI Password (Network Key).
The following steps apply to the wireless gateways from Comcast:
- Wireless Gateway 1 (model number TG852G, TG862G, SMCD3DNV or TC8305C)
- Wireless Gateway 2 (model number DPC3939)
- Wireless Gateway 3 (model number DPC3941T or TC8717)
Every wireless gateway has a unique, preset WiFi Network Name (SSID) and WiFi Password (Network Key). You will need this information to connect WiFi-capable devices to your secure home network.
You can find your default WiFi Network Name (SSID) and WiFi Password (Network Key) on a label on the side or bottom panel of your device. (The labels differ by wireless gateway model.)
If you have a Wireless Gateway 1, you will only see one Network Name (SSID).
If you have changed the default information and no longer have the new WiFi Network Name (SSID) or WiFi Password (Network Key), you can easily retrieve them by following the steps below. You do not need to factory reset your wireless gateway.
How to Find or Change Your Customized Network Name and Password
- Choose a laptop or WiFi device that is currently connected to your network. If none of your devices are connected, use an Ethernet cable and connect a computer or laptop directly to your wireless gateway.
- Open a web browser and go to the Admin Tool (http://10.0.0.1) – this is the wireless gateway's administration site. The default settings are:
- Username: admin
- Password: password (case-sensitive)
- Click LOGIN.
- Note: If you changed your Admin Tool password previously, you will need to use your new login information. If you don’t remember your Admin Tool password, you will need to factory reset your wireless gateway. Instructions on how to do this can be found by reviewing the wireless gateway user guides at Wireless Gateway Guides.
- On the left navigation menu, select Gateway, then Connection and then Wi-Fi.
- Under Private Wi-Fi Network, you’ll see the Name (SSID) of your WiFi network. (You may want to write down this information.)
- Wireless Gateway 1 customers, click EDIT at the right.
- Wireless Gateway 2 customers, click EDIT for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands to view the settings for each.
- Check the box next to Show Network Password. The Network Password (Network Key) will be displayed above. (You may want to write down this information.)
- On this page, you can also edit your wireless network information, including changing your WiFI Network Name (SSID) or WiFI Password (Network Key). If you make any changes, remember to click SAVE SETTINGS.
- Now that you have your WiFi Network Name (SSID) and WiFi Password (Network Key), you can connect your WiFi devices to your network.
- If you have changed any information, use the new information to reconnect all your WiFi devices to your network.
Learn how an XFINITY Internet subscriber visiting your home can connect to WiFi without sharing your WiFI Network Name (SSID) or WiFI Password (Network Key) using XFINITY WiFi